Festive tapas recipes for a Christmas feast
Let the festive season begin! Time to celebrate by adding a splash of Spain to your parties and festive dinners. Here’s how to introduce a little Spanish tapas to your Christmas fiesta.
What better way to celebrate the festive season with friends and family than with a delicious variety of tempting tapas? Christmas is all about the joy of giving and sharing. Serving a series of shareable small plates gives any gathering a Spanish twist and creates a lively, convivial soiree that your guests will love.
Many of these canapés can be prepared in advance and served as meal on their own or to keep your hungry guests at bay while the rest of the meal is prepared. Pick and choose what you like and add some Spanish flavour to your Christmas table. And don’t forget: these shareables are perfectly paired alongside a glass of Campo Viejo Cava Brut Reserva.
Spanish Jamón, Queso y Chorizo con Pan (Ham, Cheese, Chorizo and Bread)
This is a simple, but delicious tapa that will get everyone into the holiday spirit. It involves very little cooking and you can put it together at the last minute.
- 2 French-style baguettes
- 1/2 lb (226 grams) Manchego cheese
- 1/4 lb (114 grams) Serrano ham sliced
- 1 lb (450 grams) Spanish chorizo sausage
- Slice the baguette, making the slices about a 1/3-inch (about 1 cm) thick.
- Slice the Manchego cheese, approximately 1/8 – 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick. Slicing the cheese thinly may prove tricky because it is dry and crumbly. Don´t worry, you´ll only need small pieces to place one on each piece of bread.
- Cut the jamon slices into pieces small enough to fit on the top of the baguette slices.
- Slice the Spanish chorizo into pieces about 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick, ready for frying, optional. Some people prefer to simply slice the chorizo and serve, while others enjoy it more lightly fried.
- Place a cast iron pan on the stove with a teaspoon of olive oil, moving it around to cover the bottom.
- On medium heat, place the chorizo into the pan and fry pieces for 5-10 minutes, turning as necessary. Remove as soon as the chorizo is cooked.
- Place the baguette slices on the platter. Place one piece of cheese and a piece of ham on each one. On others, place a piece of chorizo.