CALAMARES A LA ROMANA
CALAMARES A LA ROMANA (FRIED SQUID)
Thin rings of squid are battered and fried until crispy, creating an irresistible starter. Serve hot with wedges of lemon and mayonnaise.
* 2 lbs. (900 grams) squid (cleaned)
* 32 oz. (1 litre) olive oil (for frying)
* 1/4 lb (114 grams) all-purpose flour
* 1 tbs. fresh thyme leaves
* 1 tbs. sweet paprika
* Salt to taste
* 1 lemon (cut into 8 pieces)
1. To start, pat dry squid tubes before cutting into rings.
2. Over medium heat, pour 1/2-inch (1cm) of olive oil into a large frying pan. Be careful that the oil does not smoke.
3. Add flour, thyme, sweet paprika and a bit of salt into a large plastic bag. Place a few pieces of squid into the bag and shake to cover with flour mix.
4. Remove the coated rings one at a time with your hands and carefully place in the hot oil.
5. Continue to cover pieces in flour mix and add to the frying pan. Do not crowd the pan, leaving enough room in the pan to turn over squid rings if necessary.
6. Fry until the rings turn golden. When done, remove the squid rings from pan and allow to drain on a paper towel. Serve hot alongside lemon wedges.