Spanish sunshine in a jar
Ensalada Mixta - Spanish sunshine in a jar
Light, fresh, and colourful, this Spanish salad (ensalada mixta) when layered in a jar, will be the star of any picnic. Don’t forget to bring a baguette and Campo Viejo, of course.
Makes 4-6 jar salads
- 2 boiled eggs, cut into quarters
- 1 head lettuce (iceberg or romaine) chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 red or yellow capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 can tuna (170 grams / 6 ounces) packed in water, drained
- 1 can white or green asparagus, chopped into 3cm (1.2 inches)
- 1 can artichoke hearts (packed in water, not oil) cut into small pieces
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Salt (to taste)
- Wash and dry mason jars. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil with red wine or sherry vinegar. Add salt to taste. Divide dressing between jars.
- Start layering with the heaviest ingredients at the bottom and the lightest at the top. Over the dressing add: capsicum, asparagus, artichoke hearts, carrot, cucumber, red onion, tuna and boiled eggs.
- Top with lettuce and secure lid.
- Before serving, shake jars to mix in the dressing.